Posted on July 10, 2017
simple rock cakes
Makes: 12 rock cakes
- 200g self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice (optional)
- 100g block margarine
- 75g caster sugar
- 100g currants
- 1 me
Method Prep:10min > Cook:10min › Ready in:20min
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Fan 180 C / Gas 6. Line baking tray with parchment.
- Sieve flour (and spice) into mixing bowl. Cut the margarine into smaller pieces. Rub it into the flour using fingertips only until it looks like breadcrumbs. Do not over rub.
- Stir in the sugar and currants. Beat the egg in a small bowl and add to the mixture. Press firmly with a fork until a stiff rocky consistency is formed. Place the mixture on the baking tray in 12 rocky heaps.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until they are golden brown and firm to touch. Allow rock cakes to cool before eating.